— Scottish Greens (@scotgp) May 9, 2019
The motion that was passed on 9th May 2019:
Highland Council recognises the serious and accelerating changes to the world caused by climate change and therefore declares a climate and ecological emergency
The Council will establish a Climate Change panel with responsibility for the following reporting back to full council on progress;
1. Inform ourselves on what the Council is currently doing to reduce our carbon footprint.
2. Revisit the Carbon Clever declaration made by the Council in 2012 with a view to updating and reinvigorating those commitments working towards a carbon neutral Highlands by 2025.
3. Consider and recommend any new targets and priorities for the Council’s Corporate Plan by June 2019.
4. We realise we can achieve far less by working alone so we commit to listening to and involving Highland citizens in all that we do and to involve them in the preparation of our new carbon reduction plan.
5. Promptly,we will target areas for behavioural change, such as plastic reduction. These areas to be selected by public consultation.